ONLY the following fireworks are allowed and only on July 3rd and July 4th between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 11:30 p.m. in the City of Roeland Park:
- Nonpoisonous snakes, smoke bombs and items of similar composition;
- Cone fountains and whistling fountains without report (a "report" is another name for a bang);
- Sparklers and dipped sticks;
- Firecrackers, as defined by the Consumer Product Safety Commission, 10 C.F.R. § 1500.17(a)(8)
These fireworks are Illegal in Roeland Park:
- Illegal Fireworks - Illegal fireworks include any firecracker with more than 50 milligrams of flash powder, such as the original 1960’s version of the M80, cherry bomb, silver salute, or quarter stick. Consumer fireworks also may not contain any chlorates, red phosphorus, high explosives, more than 130 milligrams of flash powder in an aerial report, or more than 500 grams of total composition.
- Bottle Rockets are PROHIBITED- A small rocket that is approximately the size of a standard firecracker, one and one-half inches long, with a thin stick attached to it that is approximately 12 inches in length. Bottle rockets can contain whistle effects and may contain a report (loud bang).
Don’t forget your pets’ safety:
Please keep your pets inside. Even if your pet is used to being outside, the resulting panic caused by fireworks or other loud noises may make them break their restraint or jump a fence in a terrified attempt to find safety. Animal shelters the day after Fourth of July are “inundated with pets that panicked at the noise of firecrackers and fled into the night, winding up lost, injured or killed.”