The Roeland Park Arts Advisory Committee (AAC), on behalf of the city of Roeland Park, Kansas (RP), is seeking a Kansas or Missouri based professional artist or artist team to collaborate with the AAC, city council and city staff to create a site-specific permanent and original piece of art. The art will be sited on the north end of Roe Boulevard.
This project is open to all professional artists and artist teams with public art experience ages 18 and older who demonstrate the capability to complete a project of this magnitude. Artists or artist teams are expected to be based in Kansas or Missouri. Artists and/or artist groups from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Public Art Budget = $100,000. All materials, travel, lodging and shipping for the artists and sculpture are included in this amount.
Therefore, RP is seeking an artist or artist team for the design, fabrication, and installation of a signature work of public art at the northern entryway to the City. The artist or artist team selected for the project will be expected to collaborate with the City of Roeland Park through the AAC, city staff and city council. The design of the art will need to consider the surrounding area, be of robust construction and environmentally sound. It is expected the art will have a year-round visual impact and compliment the city’s vision through a visible, dynamic and engaging work of public art symbolic of the values of RP.
Construction elements can make use of glass, metal, light, ceramics, color, texture, etc. The commissioned art will be an important welcoming feature to Roeland Park, Kansas.
Design Packet Submission Requirements
Interested artists should submit all of the following, which must be received by 5:00 pm, February 1, 2023. Materials should be sent/delivered to email@example.com through Google Drive. Please submit packet in the order listed below:
- A professional resume/CV (of 1 to 2 pages) including contact information: name, address, telephone number, and email.
- A letter of interest outlining your desire to make art for this project; sources of inspiration provided by the project and site; a colored rendering of the sculpture (3-4 views); a narrative explaining your ability to collaborate with the City and design team if selected for the project;
- At least 6, but no more than 10 images of related past work. You must include an annotated image list of past works that clearly indicates the title, dimensions, materials, date of work, location, as well as project costs and commissioning entity if applicable. Works can be located anywhere nationally and internationally.
- Three references of similar commissioned work with current contact information. Works can be located anywhere nationally and internationally.
1. The AAC will select up to three candidates based on qualifications, artists statements and renderings of the proposed work. The city reserves the right to reject any and/or all proposals. The candidates will be notified by email by February 17, 2023.
2. The candidates will then provide a maquette of the proposed work along with information and samples of proposed materials to be used, by March 10, 2023. These will be evaluated by the selection panel consisting of members from the AAC, city council and city staff for evaluation. The selection panel reserves the right to discuss with the artist or artist team revisions to the concept(s) presented through the maquette and proposed materials. The selection panel and city council reserve the right to reject any and/or all proposals. Official acceptance of any proposal will be made by City Council by March 20, 2023. The final selected artist will be notified via email on March 21, 2023.
3.The final selected artist or artist team will be awarded the contract in the amount of $100,000; payment(s) to be made subject to materials acquisition, performance and timeline schedules agreed with the artist or artist team. This amount is to encompass all artist fees including installation and indemnities required by the artist or artist team. There will be no compensation provided for expenditures incurred for travel, food, lodging, etc, by the artist or artist team.
Timeline for Submission & Notifications
February 1, 2023 Design Packet information listed in 1-5
February 17, 2023 Notification to candidates
March 10, 2023 Maquette and samples of materials
March 21, 2023 The final selected artist/artist team will be notified
Concept Development & Implementation
The final selected artist or artist team will be contracted through the City to develop and finalize the art concept in close collaboration with the selection panel.
The expected completion/installation date for the project is by December 30, 2023.
Submit all materials, either electronically or by mail/delivery to the contact listed below by 5:00 pm, February 1, 2023. For emailed submissions, please title the subject of the email “RP Gateway Project.” Email to: Kelley Nielsen at firstname.lastname@example.org. For mailed submissions: City of Roeland Park, 4600 W 51st Street, Roeland Park, KS 66205. Questions about the project or questions regarding submission materials should be directed to Mary Schulteis at email@example.com or Marek Gliniecki at firstname.lastname@example.org.